I will begin with the outside of the house. Our garage door needed to be replaced. It was heavy, rotting, and despite being painted many times, the paint was peeling off. Wanting to lighten up the exterior of our home, I wanted a white garage door. The dark green looked black to me, especially since it was on the north side of our home and rarely received enough light to be seen as green from any distance.
|The cardboard is covering up the dog door hole to keep wind out. You can see where the paint has bubbled off over rot. This is in early April and the trees are just starting to bud.|
|The new door came in a two boxes… great big long heavy boxes.|
|More evidence that I picked Mr. Right. The garage door did not come with all the necessary hardware for the door opener (discovered after one opened the box and read the fine print in the instructions). |
Sir T MADE them out of some extra metal he had.
|Tada! Oh boy, now that the door is pretty, the siding is extra grimy looking.|
In June we had a new roof put on by two of our friends who do this for a living. They are very good. Sim and Eric came and within the span of a few days, we went from old brown shingles with a second layer of red shingles beneath, to a lovely gray.
|Those shingle packs weigh about 75 pounds each. During this part, I was in charge of taking pictures.|
We chose the grey shingle in an attempt to help with heat control in the summer. Dark material heats up faster and there are studies that prove a lighter colored roof helps bring down the temperature in the attic. We also had a ridge vent installed along the entire roof line and a warped roof board replaced. Because T and I helped with the de-shingling process and clean up, we also got a little discount.
|Peeling shingles and pounding in popped up nails|
|They cut the roof boards for a new ridge vent. |
This will help release heat from the attic in the summer time and help keep the house cooler.
|Our beautiful new grey roof!|
When you give a mouse a cookie… now that my roof was lovely again, I went after my dark green shutters and doors. I really liked the color of my indoor potting bench that Sir T made me and he suggested it for the outside of the house. But first, the house needed a bath. Thankfully we had lovely warm weather this past July and it was pleasant, despite soaking oneself in soapy water while scrubbing.
|First you scrub with soap and water… Sir T took the high road, I took the low and together we took off years of grim, mold and spider webs. We discovered that the extendible snow brush worked great as a scrubber.|
|Then you rinse. We borrowed a power washer from Mom and Dad C. and it was a blessing.|
T took off all the shutters and they were given a good scrubbing as well. I was surprised to find that they were just hollow plastic forms rather than the wooden panels I had thought them to be. I suppose that it is better to be light and impervious to the elements but I was careful to not damage them with rough handling. Next came the painting of which I am most definitely in charge of. Not just because I might be better and more particular about it, but rather because T hates doing it and because I love him, I don’t ask him to pick up a brush. He says I can paint anything I want as long as he isn’t involved.
|Yep, I did actually do stuff despite this being the first picture of me working.|
|So for a recap, here is the before picture taken several years ago when my plants were smaller.|
|And here is the after picture: My “new” house!|
Next week, I’ll give you an update on the inside changes and my incredible new garden workspace. Happy happy, joy joy!