Below is our class syllabus, please let us know if you have any questions or comments.
The Gardening Experience Class Syllabus 2014Synopsis:
This is a hands on course which will take you on a tour through a garden season. You will be introduced to gardening concepts and ideas to help you improve your own garden. There will be classroom presentations, hands on assignments, and the opportunity to get your hands dirty at the Park Township Community Garden. We will include local guided garden tours to introduce different successful gardens and their owners. This course will be taught by Advanced Master Gardener Shannon Campau and her husband and fellow gardener Timothy.
Week 1 May 5 Garden Planning
- Why Grow Your Own Food
- Choosing Crops
- Planning Layout
- Preparing a Calendar
Week 2 May 19 Preparing and Planting the Garden
- Discuss Soils
- Sunlight and Watering
- Seeds and Plants
Week 3 June 2 Field Trip: Bill’s Greenhouse Tour
- Explore a Greenhouse in Operation with Calvin
- Opportunity to Purchase Locally Grown Plants
Week 4 June 16 Why Organic
- Organic vs Non-Organic
- Nutrients and Fertilizers
- Beginning Harvesting
Week 5 June 30 Field Trip: Holland Community Garden Tour and Work Day
- Tour a volunteer based garden which donates all produce to charities.
- Opportunity to “get your hands dirty” for a good cause.
Week 6 July 14 Pesky Pests and Problems
- Bugs, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
- Diseases and cures
Week 7 July 28 Field Trip: Eighth Day Farm Tour
Week 8 Aug 11 Harvesting into Fall
- Harvesting tips, tricks, and preserving
- Season extension
- Garden cleanup
Week 9 Aug 25 Field Trip: Season Wrap-up Party at Our Home Garden
- Tour of instructor’s flower and vegetable gardens.
- Class Review
- Share your harvest bounty snacks