Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Bench-mark of Stewardship

Our neighbor who knows that we like to recycle everything asked us if we were interested in their old deck boards that they were replacing on their deck.  “Sure”, I said, and then went to inform Timothy.  Well, of course we ended up helping remove and replace their deck and we got a big pile of 16 foot boards with screws still embedded. 

So, more work for Timothy but he tackled it gracefully as well as my list of wants that I wanted to have made from the boards.  First up was a potting bench, something I have wanted for years but we just never got around to making or getting.  I of course went online and found a great potting bench…. the mansion of all potting benches and gleefully sent it to Timothy. 

Dream Potting Bench Plus 
Uh… yeah, No.  So he drew up plans, I misplaced them, well I took the notebook he had drawn them in and turned the page to make a list, so he made the bench from memory.  This is how it turned out.

Homemade Potting Bench
Pretty great huh?  I thought so.  This bench is heavy!  Extremely sturdy, I can put my biggest pots, soil and plants on it and still tap dance on top and it won’t budge.  If we ever have a tornado come by, I think I will hide inside of it. 

 I am very happy with my bench, made with “free” wood.  



No comments:

Post a Comment